Saturday, October 01, 2005

No internet!

Who knew - no internet until just now! *fumes* I thought I'd have wireless where I was, but apparently not. Anyways. Here's the book review.
*****
I'd been meaning to read Arthur Golden's Memoirs of a Geisha for some time now, considering I bought it at the bookstore about 6 months ago, but haven't gotten around to reading it til now. You can't bring me to a bookstore - I'll inevitably buy something (if not many somethings). So really, the reading of this book has been going on for quite some time now.
I knew very little about Japanese culture before I read this novel and although it only hit on one particular aspect, it gave such a rich description of geisha life that I didn't feel like I'd ever have to research it myself, ever. What really compelled me to keep reading was how connected I felt toward Sayuri, the protagonist and author of the memoirs. Halfway through, you forget that both Sayuri and her "memoirs" are works of fiction, fabricated by a middle-aged white guy. Arthur Golden's descriptions of the exquisite kimonos, ceremonies at the teahouses and fantastic representations of characters completely immerse you.
Perhaps I'm just a typical girl who loves a good romance, or maybe it's because I like to play soothing, candlelight music when I'm reading, but I was close to tears at the end. I think that every woman knows what it's like, to spend a life pining over the perfect man - someone handsome, rich, intelligent, compassionate, classy - and in Sayuri's case, the Chairman of one of Japan's most profitable and successful companies. Sayuri did not limit herself to pining; in fact her fascination and infatuation motivated her to become one of the most highly sought after geishas in Gion. Golden allows you to feel her elation, her hope, her stabbing disappointment when she believes that the Chairman's best friend was planning to take her as a mistress instead of the Chairman himself. I've known many people for years and years, but rarely have I felt so close to a character in a mere book. I think the gushy background music and my own Oriental ethnicity helped.
Even though Golden uses many Japanese names and phrases, somehow, they never distract from the dialogue and flow of the story. Each moment still captivates you as if Sayuri's name was "Sarah" or something else "American." He explains everything so well, from the design on a painted fan to the type of makeup a geisha wears. You'd think the language barrier would detract from the storyline, but it doesn't at all.
I can't wait for the movie. I just hope it doesn't destroy the magic of the novel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home