Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Crystal what?

That Crystallography piece was insane. I don't think I've seen so many words I don't know in one place within the span of seven pages. Of the ones I at least recognized, there's not much "getting meaning out of context" to be done. Not surprisingly, I wasn't a huge fan, although it was interesting and creative. I especially enjoyed the matrices made out of the names of the elements (and I assume that those elements make up some substance when put together as he did).
Not surprisingly, I loved the Bishop piece. I tend to love most of her work. (A book of her poetry was featured in the movie "In Her Shoes" that I just saw recently. Cameron Diaz reads it out loud to an old blind dude. But I digress.) If I were to pick out a poet who constantly propels you and never makes you feel like poetry is boring, I'd pick her. I loved the "five-haired beard of wisdom" and the fish's physical description makes you envision the nastiest looking beast (at least, it did for me). He's infested with lice, has gunk all over and fish hooks protruding bloodily from his mouth. I imagine that it had to be somewhat bloody, even if she didn't specify it. This also reminded me of the movie "Big Fish," talking about the largest fish ever caught and how he returned it to the ocean because "some fish were just never meant to be caught." I feel like I'm on a "relate everything in my life to a movie or TV show" streak.
Haven't read the Borges yet, but I will right after I publish this entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home